Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas 2014

Christmas has come and gone and we have a lot to be thankful for. I was in charge of the committee for our wards Christmas party this year. It was a TON of work and I was exhausted by the end of the evening. My parents came up and helped watch the girls all day so that I could decorate the church! Grandparents of the year! We tried to create a few new holiday traditions this year. We went to a lights display outdoors and pretended like it was the Polar Express. We loaded the girls in their pajamas and gave them hot chocolate. Dave even found a train whistle to blow before we left. Avery screamed the whole time and Addison didn't like her hot hot chocolate:) Good times! There is a giant tree at an outdoor mall that was lite. We went and walked around it and got hot chocolate afterwards. We gave the girls pretty fur coats this year that neither of them loved, but they were so cute! We went to playgroup and preschool Christmas parties. A lot of cookie decorating and a lot of cute gift giving. This year we made wreaths out of clementines to hand out to our friends.  I love that the girls are getting old enough to enjoy the holidays more. Dave had to go into work Christmas Eve at 3pm so Santa came to our house a day early. Addison helped me make cinnamon rolls and did a great job cracking the eggs. The girls enjoyed tearing through gifts and making a mess of wrapping paper and toys. Addison was shy coming around the corner and seeing everything out. Avery wasn't really into tearing her wrapping paper so I ended up opening most of her gifts. Santa brought a grocery store set up for both of the girls to enjoy. Addison loves the food set that came with it that you can cut up with a wooden knife. Avery got a cute doll cradle and a doll diaper bag that she carries around like a purse. Avery is always cleaning the the floor with whatever she can find. Santa brought her a broom and dust pan. She LOVES it! It cracks me up watching her toddle around with it behind her. She's going to be a great helper! Grandma Michael sent Avery a music toy with little people that she likes to sit on and lean her head back. It is so weird, but she keeps doing it! Addison's dreams came true Christmas morning. The world of Frozen over took out living room. She got a beautiful Elsa and Anna dress up. Complete with a tiara, shoes and pretty gloves. She has changed in and out of them probably 10 times a day.Addison loves to read and got a princess reader set that reads the stories aloud to her. Now while I'm in the shower she sits on my bed and goes through all of them. Grandma Michael sent her a Frozen pop up tent and tunnel. The girls giggled and chased each other in it all morning. The movie Sleeping Beauty make its way to our house as well. Dave was a good boy this year and a range finder made its way under the tree. Dave surprised me with a fitbit and a clarsonic. We enjoyed playing with everything together until Dave had to leave. Once we cleaned up I started making a Christmas Eve dinner to take up to the base to eat with Dave. We kept it simple since I had to load everything up. We tried to read Christ's birth story and talk about the reason for the season. Avery was all over the place and Addison was cranky. We put on the Joy to the World dvd that the church puts out. We almost got through all of it and I think that the girls got something from it. We've tried really hard to talk to them about baby Jesus and why we celebrate this holiday season. I have new goals for next year, but we are slowly starting our own family traditions. I felt kind of sorry for myself bringing the girls back alone and putting them to bed. Christmas morning felt weird since we had already celebrated. The girls and I got ready for the day and played with toys until Dave got home. We scooted down to my parents just in time for Christmas crepes and some cousin gifts. Addison painted special Christmas pictures for everyone. I feel very blessed to be able to see my family at this time of the year. We enjoyed a quiet Christmas day and evening with my family. Merry Christmas 2014!!


No comments:

Post a Comment